Re: Basic Macintosh text editing features??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98817] Re: Basic Macintosh text editing features??
  • From: Raffy <raffy at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:30:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 19, 1:52 am, meitnik <meit... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am discovering:
> 1. can't auto scroll window content while dragging some selected text
> when it approaches the edge of the window
> 2. can't drag duplicate some selected text
> 3. can't drag/drop some selected text between windows
> are there other missing editing features, do tell please. Thanks
>
> I need to use often these moused based editing actions as possible.
>
> Why can't the Mac version of Mathematica be a best of breed
> application for supporting Mac editing? Or, am I missing something
> here. Or is Mathematica its own world with its own way of doing
> things, ignoring its host platform? Each platform has editing
> behaviors for a good reason! Accessibility support is not just about
> visual or sound.
> Long live the mouse!
>
> Here is a thought: is Workbench the future IDE and the classic IDE is
> just waiting around till its replaced?
>
> Andrew, frustrated (but enjoying doing math again)
>
>  [using os x 10.5.6]

The clipboard (via keyboard shortcuts) is far more versatile,
efficient, and precise than any implementation of drag and drop
editing I've used.  The drag and drop analogy should be restricted to
files/objects.

If you shift to using the clipboard more, I'd recommend LaunchBar
(http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/).  LaunchBar provides a
clipboard history and "clipmerge," which lets you append to the
current pasteboard.