Re: Plot Axis Unit Conversions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98878] Re: Plot Axis Unit Conversions
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:12:52 -0400 (EDT)

Dear unknown owen,

It is pretty easy to generate a figure with axes both in meters and in
inches using FrameTicks. However, getting the ticks look good, i.e.
choosing nice values (preferably automatically) is a different matter.
But I've got a solution for you:

Apart from values as Automatic and None, FrameTicks can be given a
function as parameter which gets the minimum and maximum value for the
given axis and which then should generate the major and minor ticks
based on these values. My trick involves using Plot itself for picking
nice values.

This is my FrameTicks function inchScale:

inchScale[min_, max_] := Apply[{2.54/100 #1, ##2} &, AbsoluteOptions[
    Plot[x, {x, 100/2.54 min, 100/2.54 max}, Frame -> True,
     FrameTicks -> {Automatic, None, None, None}], FrameTicks][[1, 2,
    1]], 1]

and this is how you use it:

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, Frame -> True,
 FrameTicks -> {Automatic, Automatic, inchScale, inchScale},
 FrameLabel -> {"x-axis (in m)", "y-axis (in m)", "x-axis (in inch)",
   "y-axis (in inch)"}]

Pretty easy, eh?

To explain the inchScale gibberish: I first let Mathematica generate a
simple plot of f[x]=x with the range min,max converted to inches (it
is not necessary that it's the same plot as long ast ist has the same
range; for speed it'd better be a simple plot). inchScale gets min,max
from your actual plot.

I then have Mathematica generate the plot with FrameTicks and use
AbsoluteOptions to get a peek at the value of FrameTicks used in this
plot. The [[1, 2, 1]] part is to peel off some superfluous levels of
brackets and stuff. The last step involves scaling the inches back to
meters so that they fit in the same plot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Sjoerd