Re: Getting the height and width of controls?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98918] Re: Getting the height and width of controls?
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 20, 6:10 pm, meitnik <meit... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I trying to find a way to get the height/width of a control item or
> the whole control itself. I know I can set stuff, but looking for some
> function that would return me the pixel measurements passing it a
> control expression. I am wanting to adjust me code based on these
> measurements. I tried looking in the docs but found nothing that would
> help. Or am I missing something in the docs? Thanks

I don't know whether there is a way to do this or not.  I will note,
however, that in my experience most controls in Mathematica look the
best by far at their default/natural sizes (i.e. no ImageSize or other
explicit options to change the size).  The exception to this are the
symbolic Appearance values of Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, which
typically look okay.  If you tweak the control size and it looks
correct on your platform it will almost certainly look incorrect on
different platforms due to differences in the way controls are drawn,
differences in the system control font metrics, etc.

-Rob