Re: Re: Mathematica for gifted elementary school children

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98919] Re: [mg98902] Re: Mathematica for gifted elementary school children
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:08:25 -0400 (EDT)

But interacting with the demonstrations, while it can be educational, is
not really being very creative or being engaged in learning Mathematica
(unless one studies the code -- which tends to be rather more
sophisticated than a rank beginner would want to see).

Doing computations oneself, building graphic images oneself -- those
things can be educational and creative and contribute toward learning
Mathematica and learning how to learn Mathematica.

Sort of the difference between playing a video game and creating a video
game.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305