Re: Re: Jacobi polynomials in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99083] Re: [mg99063] Re: Jacobi polynomials in Mathematica
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

This is entirely correct:

Product[j, {j, 1, 4.5}]

24

...since j varies from the lower limit (1 in this case), adding 1 at each
step, and stopping at OR BELOW the upper limit. In this case j takes on
the values 1, 2, 3, and 4. Adding 1 again to get 5 would exceed the upper
limit.

But consider the calculations

Product[j, {j, 1, n}]
% /. n -> 4.5
Gamma[4.5 + 1]

n!

52.3428

52.3428

The first result generalizes the Product to an arbitrary positive integer
and returns Factorial, an INCORRECT result for non-integers such as 4.5.

Yet it's a USEFUL result for non-integers, if we intend to use the Gamma
function to extend Factorial.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com