Re: "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99109] Re: "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:16:58 -0400 (EDT)

Cora L wrote:
> Hi there,
> I've recently upgraded to Mathematica 7.0.
>
> I find the box
> "A very large output was generated. Here is a sample of it:"
> quite annoying.
>
> I would like to copy and paste the output into a different Mathematica
> notebook.
> So I have to click on "Show Full Output" which takes ages to generate.
>
> Is there a default setting where I can force Mathematica to always
> give the
> Full Output rather than this annoying "A very large output..." box?
>
> Thanks!

Most us find that message extremely useful! Before that mechanism was
introduced, if you accidentally sent a vector of 10^7 elements to the
FE, it was very hard to recover at all. All you had to do was
accidentally omit one semicolon.

There are almost certainly better ways to do what you are trying to do -
for example, how about exporting your data in a suitable format, and
importing it into the other notebook?

Why not describe what you are trying to do in more detail.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk