variable initial value in NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99123] variable initial value in NDSolve
  • From: Stef <ste.peer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 04:42:27 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathematica community,

I am pretty new with using Mathematica. So, maybe there is a very
obvious solution to my problem that I missed to find out myself.

I am trying to solve a problem that is setup like that:

The cost function ec[t] depends on cumulative arrivals R[t]. At a
variable starting point tstart (for which i try to find a cost-
minimizing value in a NMinimize fct), cumulative arrivals are 0.

NDSolve[{ec'[t]==0,R[tstart]=0}, R[t],t]

But obviously, the derivative of R[tstart] goes to infinity, which is
why no solution can be found.

Thanks for helpful comments!