Re: Mathematica crashed -- where did my notebook go?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99139] Re: [mg99095] Mathematica crashed -- where did my notebook go?
  • From: Michael <michael2718 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 04:45:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mathematica just crashed on me in the middle of writing a program, and
> of course everything I had done is gone.

I have had this happen to me a few times, but fortunately I am the
type to obsessively type Ctrl+S every time I complete a new cell once
I've got it right.   ;-)  If there isn't any kind of auto-save feature
available (I haven't seen one yet) perhaps you could set up one?  The
only problem I can see is that Dynamic won't operate on anything not
visible, so perhaps a separate window or something...  I haven't
looked too deeply for ways to get around that limitation.  But one
observation, it seems like every time I have crashed Mathematica, when
I go back in my mind to figure out what I did wrong it's usually
something dumb like forgetting a semi-colon, so that, for example, I
was trying to multiply two functions which don't make sense to try to
multiply (like Import[] and SetDirectory[] perhaps).

> -Bob

Michael
(also using 7.0.1, but on Vista)