Re: Assume and $Assumptions and Results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102247] Re: [mg102216] Assume and $Assumptions and Results
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 06:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Unless x already has a specific numeric value, the correct result of

   Simplify[x > 1, x > 0]

is:

   x > 1

This result is the same as that of:

   Simplify[x > 1 && x > 0]

It would be redundant to include Element[x,Reals], since x > 0 already
implies that.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305