Creating Documentation Center material: a screencast

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102320] Creating Documentation Center material: a screencast
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 05:45:02 -0400 (EDT)

I have added a screencast to  an informal screencast to

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/

that shows how to use the tools in A WorkLife Framework (http://
scientificarts.com/worklife) that translate Notebooks into material
for the Mathematica Documentation Center. (The screencast in question
is not surprisingly called "Documenting:" it's number 8 in the list of
screencasts.)

Though Wolfram WorkBench has a procedure whereby you can create
Documentation Center material, the approach in A WorkLife FrameWork is
quite complementary to that since it exists entirely within
Mathematica.

In a way this is consistent with the philosophy of A WorkLife
FrameWork in that one of it's key goals is to allow you to stay within
Mathematica for as much of your general work as possible.

And some of you know, you can get an outline of how to create
Documentation Center material at

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/notebooks/

in the notebook titled "Documentation Center Notes".

I want to add that though that notebook describes much o the process
(that I learned through reverse engineering) it is missing a piece
that relates to how one indexes the material so that the Documentation
Center search field can find it.  David Bailey  did similar
investigations on reverse engineering and, in particular, supplied my
missing indexing step.  You can read about it here on the web site of
David's consultancy:

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk/m_documentation/m_documentation.html

I hope that this material is helpful to folks.

[A note: for those of you who have A WorkLife FrameWork, the most
recent version (as of this past weekend) now includes the indexing
code as inspired by David Bailey's work.]

--David