Re: video on Presentations by Williams and Park

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102447] Re: video on Presentations by Williams and Park
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:20:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 9, 12:06 pm, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <h5jddv$13... at smc.vnet.net>, David Reiss <dbre... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In Safari get no sound.  Also at a number of points n the screencast
> > the content of the screen content is garbled: i.e., it is not being
> > redrawn and the material (such as cursor movement) that is added is
> > scrambling the content that is beneath it.
>
> > --David
>
> Same problem here -- and, the opening screen is a huge window, twice as
> tall as my large external display, essentially empty, with no
> explanatory content or instructions in it -- just two very tiny arrow
> icons at the top -- which have no labels to show what they are or what
> they do, and which don't respond (by changing appearance) instantly when
> clicked, to show that they're received the click (even it it will take a
> while to load whatever they are going to load) -- and then, if you
> scroll way down to the bottom, two "box" icons, which seem to have all
> the same defects as the arrow icons at the top.
>
> Sorry to be so niggling about these latter points -- but these little
> things add up rapidly in a GUI display.
>
> And, I may do it, but I'm becoming increasingly resistant to any online
> sites or material that require me to register (not sure if this one does
> or not).  Takes time, and gives one more location access to personal
> data and access for spam.

I viewed the video from Europe on a pc with Firefox 3.5.
No registration is required.
Everything ran smoothly except that the sound was a little bit lower
than (for example) the intro video of screencast.com itself.
Even if a little lower, the audio was perfectly clear. all in all an
excellent way to deliver a presentation.

So most problems seem to be Safari or Mac related. Or perhaps user-PC
related.
I read that it should also be possible to download the presentation on
your computer. If this is so, many problems could be solved.

screencast.com is a repository of online videos. One of the main
differences with youtube.com is that you can upload videos longer than
10 minutes.