Re: Making your own Definitions using Operators without

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102470] Re: Making your own Definitions using Operators without
  • From: cca at gregosetroianos.mat.br
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:16:14 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

>>Del dot means divergence, not curl, so in the code Curl should be Div.
>>And the button should be changed to display a center dot after the del:

In order to prevent any kind of confusion, let us remember the title of
this post: "Making your own Definitions using Operators without built in
meanings". In his post, Jerry asked for a way to obtain something
equivalent to

>>Del 'x' f_:=Curl[f]

I gave him a solution: a notation with Del that is interpreted as Curl. And
Jerry is right: in Mathematica "Del" is an operator without no built-in
meaning. So, in Jerry private (and possible) world, "Del" can mean whatever
he decides it to mean.

And, of course, now that I provided a solution, anyone can change it, even
without knowing exactly what TemplateBox means.

Carlos Cesar de Araujo
Gregos & Troianos Educacional
www.gregosetroianos.mat.br
MSN: cca_gregosetroianos at hotmail.com