Number of Words in a String

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102483] Number of Words in a String
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:02:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

Is this the simplest way to find the number of words in a string?
Seems a little complicated, and I can't seem to turn it into a
function because when I replace the string with the argument
placeholder myString_ I get an error message saying that a string is
expected in that spot.

	Length[ReadList[StringToStream["The cat in the hat."], Word]]

	Returns 5.

Gregory