Re: Number of Words in a String

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102510] Re: [mg102483] Number of Words in a String
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 04:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

wordCount[str_String] :=
 Module[{s = StringReplace[str,
     Whitespace -> " "]},
  StringCount[s, " "] + 1]

str = "The  cat in      the hat.";

wordCount[str]

5

Bob Hanlon

---- Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca> wrote:

=============
Hello everyone,

Is this the simplest way to find the number of words in a string?
Seems a little complicated, and I can't seem to turn it into a
function because when I replace the string with the argument
placeholder myString_ I get an error message saying that a string is
expected in that spot.

	Length[ReadList[StringToStream["The cat in the hat."], Word]]

	Returns 5.

Gregory