Re: ClearAll ?? or what

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102863] Re: ClearAll ?? or what
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:34:32 -0400 (EDT)

This reply is primarily for Albert R., re his message below:  Sorry, I
really did not intend to criticize or allege mistakes by anyone, and if
my message did so, I'm apologetic.  I just wanted to make clear that
what I had referred to initially as a minor problem, and as an "error"
(in quotes, with the quotes intended to indicate that it was a somewhat
minor kind of error -- something on which I think we're in full
agreement) was in fact referred to by the Mathematica documentation as an
explicit error.

I'd also add once again, however, that when the kind of minor and more
or less trivial change from version to version illustrated here is
combined with much more substantial and less trivial changes between
versions, in an application that has become as massively complex and
convoluted as Mathematica, it's not just backwards compatibility that is
degraded.  Rather, at least IMHO, the net usability and certainly the
friendliness of Mathematica begins a steep slide in the wrong direction.