Re: ChartLabels for Stacked, Grouped BarCharts?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105837] Re: [mg105816] ChartLabels for Stacked, Grouped BarCharts?
  • From: Ariel Sepulveda <sepulveda.cuevas at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:31:21 -0500 (EST)

Dear Gordon:

You can find a solution to your problem in the package BESTViewpoints (
http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/bestviewpoints/).  Screenshots
with examples related to your problem are on page 6 and 9 of this link
http://www.wolfram.com/products/applications/bestviewpoints/examples.pdf.
 Additionally, documentation for the function that creates the former images
can be found in the *Viewpoints* link at the bottom of this web page
http://www.prontoanalytics.com/products/mxlplus/documentation.htm.

Assuming that your data looks like this
data2={{"response1","response2","group1","group2","group3"},
{3.25, 1.76, "A1", "B3", "C2"},
{2.56, 0.54, "A3", "B7", "C1"},
...};
A script to solve your problem using Viewpoints would be:
Viewpoints[data2, {"response1"},  "By" -> {"group1", "group2"}, "PlotID" ->
"StackedBarChart", "VerticalBars" -> True];

Viewpoints supports any number of groups and more than one response variable
for chart types like PercentileBarChart, Pareto, BoxPlots, PieChart, and
Line, among other.  BEST Viewpoints can be used for simplifying the creation
of charts by easily setting the right image size, aspect ratio, bar
annotations, and many other plot options.  However, if you need to implement
a solution as part of a Mathematica program you can
use BESTViewpoints interface to create the plot the first time and get from
the interface the script with all 36 Viewpoints options set.  The output
script can then be used in a program.

Finally, I'm working on Charts Explorer, a low-cost product that will only
include a spreadsheet-like interface for data importing and manipulation
plus an interface for the function Viewpoints.  To request additional
information about this application please go to
http://www.prontoanalytics.com/contactus.php and leave a message regarding
the Charts Explorer such that I can communicate when the product is ready.

Ariel Sepulveda