GraphPlot and Feynman graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96017] GraphPlot and Feynman graphs
  • From: sidious.lord at gmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 04:42:01 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I experimented a bit with using Mathematica's GraphPlot to
draw Feynman graphs.  In particular, I would like to be able
to modify VertexRenderingFunction in such a way as to
use the usual conventions for drawing Feynman graphs (see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_diagram

for some example of Feynman graphs).

I wasn't able to get very far though, which was a bit disappointing.
There were several issues:

* When two vertices are linked by more than one edge (as
it often happens in Feynman diagrams with loops) the only
way this is drawn is by splitting the two edges until they are
at at prescribed distance apart and then the edges run
parallel until they join at the other vertex.  This is weird for
Feynman graphs.

* I wasn't able to add patterns on the edges, for example
the wiggles for the gluon lines.

Can someone offer help with these issues?  Are there any
plans to offer the ability to draw Feynman graphs in future
versions of Mathematica or as an add-on package?

I can tell you that having the possibility to draw Feynman
graphs within Mathematica (with the possibility of adding
mathematics around the vertices and edges) would make
lots of physicists very happy.

Thank you.