Re: FourierTransform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96037] Re: FourierTransform
  • From: John Doty <jpd at whispertel.LoseTheH.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 06:21:40 -0500 (EST)

Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Fourier transform over the interval x in (-Infinity,Infinity)
> converges only for quadratic integrable functions, i.e., functions
> where Integrate[Conjugate[f[x]]*f[x],{x,-Infinity,Infinity}]< Infinity
>
> This is not the case for Cosh[x], and so no Fourier transform exist.

Depends on what you mean by "function". Mathematica tries in its
pragmatic way to do what you might want here:

In[1]:= FourierTransform[t^2,t,w]

Out[1]= -(Sqrt[2 Pi] DiracDelta''[w])

t^2 is certainly not square integrable, but this is the kind of useful
result scientists and engineers want.

Mathematica's support for "generalized functions" still has room for
improvement, but it has come a long way. The bizarre problems I saw in
the past trying Fourier methods to perform fractional differentiation
and integration
(http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2000/Apr/msg00043.html)
seem no longer to be with us in Mathematica 7.

--
John Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/