Re: FourierTransform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96082] Re: FourierTransform
  • From: John Doty <jpd at whispertel.LoseTheH.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:21:40 -0500 (EST)

Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is called a distribution or generalized function
> and not a function and it is only defined
> inside of an integral as my Vladimirov
>
> http://www.amazon.de/Methods-Generalized-Functions-Analytical-Special/dp/0415273560/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1233576829&sr=8-33
>
> say.

That restriction is Vladimirov's. We who actually apply generalized
functions to physics and engineering problems are not shy about using
them outside of integrals. This is the approach that Mathematica
implements, as you can see below.

A better reference is Bracewell:
www.amazon.com/Fourier-Transform-Its-Applications/dp/0073039381,
especially applicable to this question.

By the way, the term "distribution" seems designed to confuse the
innocent. Many applications of generalized functions also involve
probability, where the term "distribution" has a different and far more
familiar meaning.

Most physicists and engineers will drop the "generalized" and simply
consider things like delta functions to be functions. They often have
the right properties to represent the behavior of real world objects,
when other notions of "function" don't.

--
John Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/