Re: Mathematica 7.0.0 and X11 forwarding over SSH

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96178] Re: Mathematica 7.0.0 and X11 forwarding over SSH
  • From: hayes.tyler at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 03:55:44 -0500 (EST)

>From what I understand, this is not a Mathematica problem, but rather
a limitation of X-forwarding using SSH. In fact, even just opening gv
to view a postscript image takes forever. What you want is something
like FreeNX to facilitate remote desktop usage in something akin to
real-time.

http://freenx.berlios.de/

Cheers,

t.

On Feb 6, 4:11 am, fabz <fabian.eichsta... at theo.physik.uni-giessen.de>
wrote:
> Hi guys!
> I have installed a single license Mathematica 7.0.0 on an OpenSuse 10.3 6=
4bit-machine. Kernel is 2.6.22.19-0.2-default #1 SMP.
> When working with the frontend at this machine locally, everything seems =
to be fine. However when I login from remote via "ssh -X" and then start Ma=
thematica, the frontend is awfully slow when I try to type something or whe=
n using backspace. The delays are so bad that working is not possible. I tr=
ied logging in from computers running OpenSuse 10.3, 11.0 and 11.1, always =
with the same result. Finally I logged in from remote onto an Ubuntu machin=
e which is running kernel 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP and also has Mathematica =
7.0.0 installed. This also shows the same issue.
> I know this is not a special linux forum, however I feel this seems to be=
 generable problem of Mathematica 7.0.0 linux version. So has somebody alre=
ady stumbled over this?