Scalar plot in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96334] Scalar plot in 3D
  • From: Franco Milicchio <franco.milicchio at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone! I am still struggling with my "rendering hassles" :)
I don't really know how to implement this in Mathematica, although the idea
is quite simple. I have a list of points in 3D, their relative scalar value,
and I'd like to have them nicely rendered on the domain on which they are
defined. In other words, I have sampled a scalar field on a torus, and I'd
like to plot its value (by hue or any other color means). Simple as it is, I
cannot figure how to obtain this!

Basically, I know the torus' radii (rMIN and rMAX), and I have my good
vectors:

coords = {{x1, y1, z1}, {x2, y2, z2}, ...}
values = {v1, v2, ...}

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I have seen ListVectorPlot3D, but
it won't show in the plot the domain itself (so arrows laying on a torus),
and ineed, it requires a vector field. Although I can fake a vector field,
I'd like something more "visually appealing"! :)

Thanks to anyone!
   Franco