Re: switching axes in Plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96392] Re: switching axes in Plot?
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:42:55 -0500 (EST)

John, try this simple way:

f[x_] := Sin[2 x];
ParametricPlot[{f[x], x}, {x, 0, 2}]

try also this one:

ListLinePlot[Table[{Sin[2 x], x}, {x, 0, 2, 0.01}]]

Have success, Alexei

When using Plot to plot F[x] as a function of x, Mathematica automatically =
assigns the independent variable x to the horizontal axis and the dependent=
 variable F[x] to the horizontal.  I often want to switch this around so th=
at the independent variable runs on the vertical axis and the dependent on =
the horizontal.  I feel sure there ought to be a simple way to tell Plot to=
 make this change but I have never found it and instead have resorted to co=
nvoluted approaches.  Can anyone tell me what the simple trick is, if it ex=
ists?
Thanks
John Finnigan

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.