Re: Typesetting bug

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96457] Re: Typesetting bug
  • From: replicatorzed at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 03:07:27 -0500 (EST)

For those who are interested:

It does happen in v6 and v7 as well, 5.2 I can not test. It happens
even with a fresh kernel. The problem boils down to the fact that when
max^n is typed in with n as a superscript, any *new line* of input in
the same cell will be treated as a factor in a product with max^n. So
to reproduce, one has to input max^n with the Ctrl+^ combination. Can
anyone confirm this bug?

I copy the lines here, although note that simply pasting it to a
notebook won't replace ^n with a real superscript. Also note that the
output is not two outputs, as I would expect it, but Times[...]

In[3]:= max^n

Out[3]= max^n x

While the following code returns output as expected:

In[2]:= ax^n

Out[2]= ax^n

Out[3]= n

With fresh kernel, as I have stated.