Re: Default Input / Output and TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96486] Re: Default Input / Output and TraditionalForm
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 03:12:45 -0500 (EST)

On 2/13/09 at 3:39 AM, fizzycist at knology.net (fizzy) wrote:

>Another question about TraditionalForm output....sometimes the
>output for Exp[a] is e^a, sometimes its exp(a).....I want to set the
>output to e^a....I tried the following , which doesnt work....

>Format[Exp[a_]]:=e^a

>how would I do that?

It is a bit unclear as to what you want here. If it is the type
set traditional form you want then

TradiitionalForm[expr]

will do that for any expr. But if you want what you have
literally posted rather than the typeset form, you will need
something like

Format[Exp[a_]]:="e^"<>ToString[a]

However, if a is a complex expression rather than a symbol with
no assigned value or a numeric value, the result of this quite
likely won't be what you want.