Division by zero, despite strong hint

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96542] Division by zero, despite strong hint
  • From: dch888 <dch888 at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 06:55:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm trying to plot the Sin[1/x] curve with the curve being defined as
0 at 0 like this:

g3[x_] := Piecewise[{{Sin[1/x], x != 0} {0, x == 0}}]

Invoking Plot produced a flat graph; puzzled I asked for g3[0] and
got:

Power::infy Infinite expression 1/0 encountered >>

{
 {Indeterminate, False True},
 {0, \!\(\*
    TagBox["True",
     "PiecewiseDefault",
     AutoDelete->False,
     DeletionWarning->True]\)}
}

Hmmm...  what's the trick here to stop Mathematica evaluating all the branches
of the piecewise fn? There's nothing in the documentation that I can
see to stop this in Piecewise... perhaps I need to use a different Mathematica
function?

Thanks,
David.