Re: Mathematica, ARPACK and implicit matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96623] Re: Mathematica, ARPACK and implicit matrices
  • From: Roman <rschmied at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:28:10 -0500 (EST)

Fernando,
I had the same problem a while back (my matrices are 2^30 x 2^30). The
only thing I found to do was to actually translate my code into a C
program which calls ARPACK directly. This is actually not very hard,
the documentation is good. You could then write a C procedure which
calculates the largest eigenvalues (maybe dependent on some
parameters), which you can call from Mathematica through MathLink.
Effectively this will be exactly the Mathematica extension you seem to
need.
Roman.