Re: Mathematica question about commutativity of multiplication

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96718] Re: Mathematica question about commutativity of multiplication
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:11:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

what had you expect, a 6 x 6 matrix have a 6. order
characteristic polynomial. A closed form for 6. order
polynomials does not exist and inserting all roots
of the characteristic polynomial in to the matrix
will make the expression not simpler.

The question
"I think part of the issue is that
 > in my case, the variables a,b, and c commute. "

is a bit unclear, Mathematica will always assume that
a*b==b*a and the only way to have multiplication that
does not commute is to use not Times[] but NonCommutativeMultiply[].

#1 is the short form of Slot[1] and #1^5 means the 5. power
of Slot[1] as well as a^5 means the 5. power of a.
And a^5 means a*a*a*a*a

Regards
   Jens