Re: Error using Manpulate that is NOT obvious (to me)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96754] Re: Error using Manpulate that is NOT obvious (to me)
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:44:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi Benjamin,

The following will work:

DynamicModule[{f, m, s,
  sd = {"C", "C#", "D", "D#", "E", "F", "F#", "G", "G#", "A", "A#",
    "B"}, pt, p, o},
 Manipulate[
  f = N[(440/64) 2^((m + 3)/12)];
  s = m - 60;
  pt = Mod[m, 12];
  p = sd[[pt + 1]];
  o = Floor[m/12] - 1;
  "MIDI Note Number (0-127)" <> ToString[m] <> " equals " <>
   ToString[f] <> " Hertz (8-12600)" <>
   ", and its SoundNote number (-60 to 67) is " <> ToString[s] <>
   ", which has the Pitch name of (C to B) " <> ToString[p] <>
   " in Octave (-1 to 9) " <> ToString[o] <> ".",
  {m, 0, 127, 1},
  SaveDefinitions -> True
  ]
 ]

I've made several changes, some essential, some a matter of style or
efficiency.

1. Removed the Print function, which printed to the Message box. The
result of the last of a series of concatenated statements is shown as
the result of the Manipulate body. It's now one string using the
StringJoin (<>) and the ToString functions

2. You used Integer to make the result of the division integer. You
should use Round, Floor, Ceiling or the integer division Quotient for
that use.

3. The DynamicModule now surrounds the Manipulate instead of the other
way around

4. Constants (sd) should not be re-assigned again and again

5. Instead of writing pt = Mod[m, 12];  p = sd[[pt + 1]] you could
have used the slightly more elegant   pt = Mod[m, 12,1];  p = sd
[[pt]];

Cheers -- Sjoerd