Counting Categories

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96798] Counting Categories
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:03:33 -0500 (EST)

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to do multivariate category counts in the way that used to
be handled by CategoryCounts but is now replaced by Cases.  The
example in Help simply applies Cases twice to find the count of
elements in a list that are numbers and the count that is even.

Map[Cases[{a, b, c, 1, 2, d, 3}, #] &, {_?NumberQ, _?EvenQ}]

But what if I have many rows of observations on two dimensions
(columns) such as red, blue, green, and small, medium, big?  I'd like
to be able categorize them accordingly as the count of small and red,
medium and red, big and red, and so on.  Any way to do that?

	Regards,

		Gregory