Re: Re: listing user defined, independent variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96876] Re: [mg96819] Re: listing user defined, independent variables
  • From: "Paul Ellsmore" <paul.ellsmore at nanion.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:59:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi Albert,

Thanks for this. I had other replies which mentioned OwnValues. I had never
heard of this function, but it is clearly the kind of thing I need.
Unfortunately, your code doesn't quite do what i need. As an example, here
are two "independent" variables, indVarA and indVarB, and a "dependent"
variable, depVarC. I actually want to get at indVarA and indVarB, but your
code seems to be aimed at getting depVarC:

In[In[26]:=
indVarA=1
indVarB=2
depVarC=indVarA*indVarB

Out[26]=
1

Out[27]=
2

Out[28]=
2

Using your code:

In[29]:=
(*ensure that we can see the symbols, not only the values:*)

In[30]:=
SetAttributes[dependentQ, HoldFirst]

In[31]:=

(* if we get a symbol which has an OwnValue, extract the unevaluated RHS of
its OwnValue and see whether it contains symbols from the Global
context: *)

In[32]:=
dependentQ[var_Symbol] :=
 If[TrueQ[Length[OwnValues[var]] > 0],
  Not[FreeQ[Extract[OwnValues[var], {1, 2}, Hold],
    s_Symbol /; Context[s] == "Global`"]],
  False
  ]

In[33]:=
(* as a filter for variable names, it is handy if we accept strings as
arguments, too: *)

In[34]:=
dependentQ[name_String] :=  dependentQ @@ ToExpression[name, InputForm,
Hold]

In[35]:=
 (* use as filter: *)

In[36]:=
Select[Names["Global`*"], dependentQ]

We get a zero length list as output:

Out[36]=
{}

I want to get indVarA and indVarB as output, but if I remove the "Not" from
your code, I get:

In[37]:=
 SetAttributes[dependentQ, HoldFirst]

dependentQ[var_Symbol] :=
 If[TrueQ[Length[OwnValues[var]] > 0],
  FreeQ[Extract[OwnValues[var], {1, 2}, Hold],
    s_Symbol /; Context[s] == "Global`"],
  False
  ]

dependentQ[name_String] :=  dependentQ @@ ToExpression[name, InputForm,
Hold]

Select[Names["Global`*"], dependentQ]

Out[40]=
{depVarC,indVarA,indVarB}

I am not entirely sure I understand your syntax, but I assume that we are
trying to get OwnValues[var_Symbol], without the rhs being evaluated. I
would hope to get OwnValues[depVarC] to be {HoldPattern[depVarC] :> indVarA
+ indVarB}, or something like that, but everything i try gives the evaluated
rhs:

In[41]:=

SetAttributes[myExtract,HoldFirst]
myExtract[var_Symbol]:=Extract[OwnValues[var], {1, 2}, Hold]

In[43]:=

myExtract[depVarC]

Out[43]=
Hold[2]

If I can get the unevaluated rules for each synbol, using OwnValues or any
other function, I will be able to do what I need. Any idea how to do this?

Cheers,

Paul