Re: Need some help with monitoring evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96903] Re: Need some help with monitoring evaluation
  • From: Dan629 <dangerrity at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:10:06 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 26, 5:01 am, congruentialumina... at yahoo.com wrote:
> This has caused me some consternation in the past. By this I mean that
> I make some coding error that causes Mathematica to loop.
>
> I would check out:
>
> ref/TimeConstrained
> ref/Reap
> ref/StepMonitor
>
> HTH.
>
> Roger Williams
> Franklin Laboratory
> On Feb 24, 2:46 am, dangerr... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm trying to convolve a Rayleigh distribution with a circular
> > distribution along the x dimension.  It simplifies into a Gaussian
> > convolved with an expression of the form 1/(pi*Sqrt[q^2-x^2]).
> > <snipped/>

Thank you for the references.

* I have looked at StepMonitor, but it only applies to numerical
evaluations and is not an option for a symbolic function like
InverseFourierTransform.
* Since I can't use StepMonitor, I can't see how to take advantage of
Sow and Reap
* I have also tried to useTimeConstrained, but the function simply
returns $Aborted when the time limit is exhausted.
* TracePrint and Trace dump too much output; I've tried to specify
forms like _Simplify to reduce the output but Simplify isn't used
until the end so it doesn't provide intermediate information.
* Unless I can up with a meaningful pattern to use with TraceDialog,
it's insane how many stops are involved.

When I interrupt an evaluation, what can I examine?