Re: procedures

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96980] Re: [mg96937] procedures
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 06:45:54 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:16 AM, ventutech at gmail.com wrote:

> Simple question:

Unfortunately no simple answer.

> how can I in mathematica write a complex function?

What do you mean by complex.

> What I need to do is (pseudocode)
>
> FunctionToCode[x,n] {
>
> D[x_,n]:= something symbolic
>
> Do[ D[x,s]=D[x,s], {s,0,n} ];
>
> return D[x,s]
> Clear[D]
> }

Your meaning is not clear, D[x_,n] defines a function for a fixed
variable n, I think you meant D[x_,n_].  Secondly is D supposed to
have side effects?  What is the purpose of assigning its value to
itself?  Third, s only has value within the Do loop, do you mean to
return D[x,n]?  Fourth, why clear D?  In short the pseudocode raises
more questions than one could answer.

Best Regards,

Sseziwa Mukasa