Re: Problems combining new v7.0 Image command with other graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95153] Re: Problems combining new v7.0 Image command with other graphics
  • From: Mac <mwjdavidson at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:12:56 -0500 (EST)

Many thanks to all for the helpful replies. I thought I would try and
summarise the outcome of the discussion as I see it (and hopefully in
a correct fashion - let me know otherwise)

1) Image data that is not scaled between 0 and 1.

Working with Image data outside the range of 0 to 1 is no problem. All
the new image processing commands in v7.0 (e.g. ImageCrop[], ImageApply
[] etc...) will work with real values images. I've tested this with
ImageApply and it works. For display, scaling of image data on the fly
can be done by applying ImageAdjust[] with the range to be rescaled
defined, using Rescale[] within the Image[] command or using the
ImageData[Graphics[Raster[img]]] construction with the rescaling done
by Raster[].

2) Applying image processing to regions of interest only
May appear in future releases of Mathematica. A workaround is to use
binary images with values 0 and 1 which define the regions to be
treated.

3) Combining images with graphics
Use ImageCompose[]. This is not ideal in the sense that it
"rasterises" the line graphics loosing the original information but
until Show[] supports image data and graphics it probably does the job
well enough.

Mac