Re: Plot Lists of values from excel to mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95344] Re: [mg95310] Plot Lists of values from excel to mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 06:08:22 -0500 (EST)

I presume your data comes from Excel in the form of a list of lists,
with each constituent list being a row of your table, i.e.:

   xy = {{1,5,2,4},{2,6,1,2},{3,2,2,1},{4,1,7,2}};

Define an auxiliary function to associate the first entry in each row
with each of the remaining entries in its row:

   f[lis_] := Flatten[Outer[List, {First[lis]}, Rest[lis]], 1]

Now Apply that function to each row (but do it all at once) and do a
ListPlot of the result:

   ListPlot[f/@xy,PlotStyle->{PointSize[Large]}]

I don't know whether this is the "simplest" way, but it's a reasonably
straightforward way.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305