Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95408] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 05:33:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Although Mathematica 7 is a very powerful peace of software as far as
> the computational part goes it turns out to be quite limited and
> unstable when it comes to word editing and processing, despite the
> claims in the help that it is almost as powerful as WinWord.
> For example it crashed multiple times on me while I was trying to setup
> the right fonts and sizes, as  a result I lost all my work several
> times, it also messed up my fonts, sizes, styles, settings for the
> equations, its undo is totally useless and I couldn't figure out how to
> format a text and a graphic in two or more columns and display them side
> by side in a notebook as well as how to control what goes on what page
> and while printing to PDF often it wouldn't print all pages, but just
> the first 2-3.

If I don't let Notebooks grow too large, the Mathematica Frontend has
been quite stable for me in the last years, so I wonder what kind of
fancy formatting/word processing stuff you are doing to see frequent
crashes... anyway, loosing work is something that should never ever
happen. Have you looked at the stuff David Park is doing with
Mathematica? I think if you don't try too much to force Mathematica
Notebooks to look like printed publications but concentrate on
presenting your content, you can achieve quite a lot (and much that is
not possible on paper!) without hitting Mathematicas dark corners...

> All that said I'm wondering what program to use to write my work in, and
> I'm asking for advice - is WinWord any better when it comes to handling
> equations?
> Any other choices?

If you are after good word processing capabilities for content to be
printed only and good handling of equations _and_ to be absolutely sure
to not ever loose your work by software crashes again I think there is
still no alternative to TeX/Latex and a stable basic text editor. If you
really need that, there are WYSIWYG frontends for TeX/Latex nowadays but
I have never found these necessary when writing scientific content.

> What is the best way to export Mathematica 7 equations and graphics?

TeXForm[] or Export[,"TeX"] for equations, and Export[,"EPS"] or
probably nowadays "PDF" for 2D Graphics will usually work well enough,
only for 3D graphics there seem to be problems with the efficiency of
the pdf export, you can find more information in the archives of this
group...

hth,

albert