Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95506] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:47:51 -0500 (EST)

On 1/19/09 at 2:56 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>I also gave a list of what seemed to me the main benefits of this
>modular or multi-tool approach, but I overlooked one.  It's been
>added in below:

>-----------

>*** 2.5)  You'll have meaningful backward compatibility or long-term
>*** stability, in the sense that if you want to go back and reuse or
>*** modify some project or set of files that you created say five or
>*** ten years ago, the file formats for your output documents will
>*** still be valid and usable, and the source files will likely be
>*** also still be usable with minimal modification.

Things probably won't be as rosy as you suggest above. In order
to maintain backward compatibility or long-term stability you
need be able to accomplish two things. Interpret the file
formats as you indicate above and be able to read the physical
media the files are stored on. Over a period of ten years, the
requirement to be able to read the physical media is likely to
be the issue.

Looking back ten years ago, the primary medium for storing files
were floppy disks. Today, none of the computers I use today can
read a floppy disk regardless of file format.