Formatting in text cells ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95502] Formatting in text cells ...
  • From: annetts729 <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:47:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Recently, (actually inspired by the "What editor ..." thread) I have
had occasion to use Mathematica 7 as a text entry tool -- explanatory
text followed by numbered equations, followed by more text & more
numbered equations.  By and large, it's proving an easier environment
for this sort of task than MS Word (and equation editor), though not
nearly as easy as WordPerfect's equation editor from 5.1 / 6 days.

I have two (!) problems.

1. Text cells are just fine unless they include explanatory text with
either super or subscripts.  When these are involved, it seems that
justification rules go out the window; one line might end halfway
across the window while another might go all the way to the end of the
window.  I can get this effect simply by having something like
Subscript[F, z] in the middle of a text cell, and on looking a little
closer, commas appear to be the signal to start a new line
irrespective of whether it's appropriate to do so.  How can I get text
cells to run to the end of the window when they are long enough to do
so, and still contain symbols with super & subscripts?

2. Upon printing, some _parts_ cells which contain text as well as
symbols and super & subscripts are printed with a darker background.
Why is this, and more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

Many thanks,

Dave.