Re: Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95520] Re: [mg95426] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:50:24 -0500 (EST)

TeX is NOT a version of HTML.  Like HTML, though, it is a mark-up
language; but this mark-up languages emphasizes especially logical
mark-up (with the details as to how things should actually look handled
by the relevant macros and packages that designers have created).  For
example (when using LaTeX):

   \documentclass{article}

says to typeset the document in the "article" style (as opposed to the
book style, e.g.).

   \section{The first big thing}

creates a numbered section header, with an appropriately larger and
(perhaps) bolded title "The first big thing", places appropriate spacing
before and after the title, and creates a corresponding entry in a table
of contents (in case one includes a command to include the contents).

   this is a \emph{really} big idea

is typeset so as to put the word "really" (by default) in italics.

   \begin{equation}
       \int_0^{\infty} e^{-t^2}\,dt =  \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}
   \end{equation}

creates a sequentially-numbered, centered equation displayed on a
separate line saying the same thing as what the Mathematica front end
renders as the value of:

   HoldForm[Integrate[Exp[-t^2], {t,0,\[Infinity]}]==Sqrt[\[Pi]]/2]

LaTeX automatically justifies lines (including automatically
hyphenating) and balancing lines on pages much the way a professional
typesetter would do.

To say more than this would go WAY beyond the proper topic of this
newsgroup!  Please take a look at the examples linked from he URLs I
provided in my early posting.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305