Re: Problem with an integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95617] Re: Problem with an integral
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:14:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Integrate gives a generic result, that is correct for almost all values,

but does NOT take into account special behaviour for isolated values.

E.g. set k=1 and look at the result from Assuming[{ n > 0},

Integrate[fun, {x, 0, \[Infinity]}]]. The result has the form of a

difference of 2 summands that both have no numerical value for n==1.

Therefore, this formula can  not be used for n==1. Due to numerical

errors, it even fails for values of n close to 1. However, you may set

k==1 and n==1, now Integrate gives the correct result.

hope this helps, Daniel