Re: Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95625] Re: [mg95605] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:06:16 -0500 (EST)

(http://www.bluesky.com/products/products_=
> frames.
>>> html

> TeX

>>> Have you tried installing TeXLive?
>>
>>> -- m
>>
>> Yes. It certianly makes keeping up to date with various packages
>> easier, but I don't think it addresses the issues I mentioned and
>> does
>> not have the features Textures offers (or used to). Among these were:
>>
>> 1. Continuously updated preview
>
> Urgh. Why would you want that?
>
> What's next, Clippy?!! :)
>
>> 2. "Traffic light" - an interactive device that keeps you informed
>> while you are typing if your input is syntactically correct (so you
>> can catch errors as they occur
>
> Any decent editor will have syntax highlghting, which is
> good enough to catch commor errors. The uncommon ones (TeX
> is essentially impossible to syntax check!) are uncommon ;-)
>
>> 3. Synchronicity. Command-click on any text in the preview and you =

>> are
>> taken to the corresponding point in your source code. Do the same to
>> any word in the source code and you are taken to the right place in
>> the preview.
>
> You can do this using xdvi and vim; I imagine emacs
> does it also, but I do not speak emacs. Add
>
>  xdvi.editor:    gvim --servername xdvi --remote +%l %f
>
> to ~/.xdvirc, and compile using
>
>  latex --src-specials=cr,display,hbox,math,par,hbox ...
>
> and start editing uxing
>
>  gvim --servername xdvi myfile.tex
>
> or
>
>  vimx --servername xdvi myfile.tex
>
> When you then ctrl-click on something in xdvi, vim jump
> to the correct position in the source.
>
> On the other hand, add
>
>  map <buffer> <silent> <F1> :call system("xdvi -sourceposition " .
> string(line('.')) . expand("%:r"))<CR>
>
> (This should be in one line, I guess) to your ~/.vimrc;
> then pressing F1 while editing a tex file will result in
> xdvijumping to that position.
>
> I understand that you can do this also with PDF, assuming
> your PDF previewer has the necessary support, but I have
> never tried.
>

> You should really consider Auctex.
>
> -- m

Hmm... I don't think you have won very many friends for TeX with this
post (me, I have been using TeX for over 20 years, so I am kind of
resigned to it...). In particular, I am sure AES must have loved it,
particularly in view of his repeated complaints about how "arcane"
Mathematica some commands are (compared to what?)

Andrzej Kozlowski=