problem with NDSolve in version 7 vs. version 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95652] problem with NDSolve in version 7 vs. version 6
  • From: "Robert M. Lurie" <RMLURIE at ALUM.MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 06:17:11 -0500 (EST)

I have a particular problem that may have further ramifications.  I
have a demonstration on line at Wolfram

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/RestrictedThreeBodyProblem/

In version 6 the plot from NDSolve will "behave" properly up to time
= 53, but in version 7 it fails at much earlier times.

The same result (version 7 not giving a good calculation at later
times compared to version 6) shows up at other "Jacobian constants".
(The same result is shown in Player 6 vs Player 7).

I have posted the attachment  on

http://home.comcast.net/~rmlurie/

as a pdf file called Comparison of ver 6 and ver 7.

Many thanks,

Robert M Lurie
rmlurie at alum.mit.edu