Re: Which editor do you use for math

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95704] Re: Which editor do you use for math
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:52:24 -0500 (EST)

In article <gletfq$4nm$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> If you are to effectively make use of LaTeX you will definitely
> want to get a book written about using LaTeX. Like Mathematica,
> LaTeX will require quite a bit of study/usage before you will
> really be comfortable using it. I believe the payoff for
> learning LaTeX warrants the effort.

I'd just add that you might also want to acquire a copy of Knuth's
original users guide for TeX, not only for getting a very readable
introduction to the basic concepts of TeX itself, but even more just for
the pleasure of reading or scanning it and getting a near-personal
encounter with a genuine genius, as well as adding a true classic to
your library.

(Of course it may also make you weep, which you compare Knuth's approach
to user documentation to Wolfram's current approach.)

Last I looked there was one used copy of the original spiralbound
paperback TeXBook for sale on amazon for $25.  Given the tattered
condition of my original copy, I nearly bought it. The current hardbound
version seems to be retitled as Computers & Typesetting, Volume A: The
TeXbook (Computers & Typesetting Series) (Hardcover) and costs a little
more. I'm guessing it contains essentially the same material as the
original.