Re: Which editor do you use for math articles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95731] Re: Which editor do you use for math articles
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:49:24 -0500 (EST)

John_V wrote:
> I  have been using Adobe FrameMaker for this purpose for years. I thought it
> worth mentioning since no one else has yet done so.
>
> FrameMaker provides the conveniences of a word processor type environment
> (WYSIWYG, automatic numbering of references, cross referencing for figures,
> equation numbers, templates for multicolumn camera-ready papers and other
> report formats, etc.) that I find useful when writing a paper. It has its
> own equation editor, so I don't think you could cut and paste directly from
> Mathematica--though I don't know if that is possible with the alternatives
> either.

I have never had need for TeX since I don't publish papers (I'm a full
time Senior Lecturer with a heavy teaching load; research is not part of
my job). For many years, I've used MS Word with a rather old version of
MathType for writing quizzes, tests, etc. But Word 2007 understands
MathML, so it's now possible to copy and paste directly from Mathematica
into Word, and then edit if needed using Word's Equation tools. The
results are quite nice, and I'll probably ditch MathType entirely and go
with the Mathematica -> Word route, which I find easier than putting in
integrals (etc.) directly in Word.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont