Re: two y-axes with different scaling

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95876] Re: [mg95861] two y-axes with different scaling
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 05:52:52 -0500 (EST)

Joerg,

One method is to use Frame -> True, and FrameTicks -> tick specification,
and give your own specification for the ticks on the right hand side of the
plot. (Lookup Ticks to see how to make these specifications.) You can use
Automatic for the regular ticks and make a table for the right hand side.
However, sometimes this is a lot of work, especially if you want both the
major and minor ticks.

The curve that goes with the right hand side will also have to be scaled to
match the ticks.

The Presentations package from my web site has CustomTicks routines that
make it easy to produce any kind of tick scale that is a 1-1 mapping from
the underlying plot coordinates, with linear or log ticks. It also makes it
easy to combine curves from two or more plot types. (And many other
features.)

I think there is also a free TwoScalePlot package on the WRI MathSource that
may also be useful - but I don't know much about it.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Joerg [mailto:schaber at biologie.hu-berlin.de]

Hi,

I want to combine two 2-D plots into one.
However, I want to have two different
y-axes. One on the left and one two the right,
with different ticklabels, respectively.
How do I do that? I couln't find any
example in the help files.

Thanks,

joerg