Re: ListCurvePathPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95931] Re: ListCurvePathPlot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 05:43:16 -0500 (EST)

On 1/29/09 at 5:58 AM, djmpark at comcast.net (David Park) wrote:

>I don't understand the new ListCurvePathPlot, which the Help page
>says: "attempts to reconstruct smooth curves defined by the
>specified set of points."

>This plot routine also has the option: InterpolationOrder. And the
>word "Curve" appears not only in the name but repeatedly in the
>descriptions. But look at the following example:

>data = Table[
>RandomReal[{.8, 1.2}] {Cos[t], Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 \[Pi] - 2 \[Pi]/6,
>2 \[Pi]/6}];

>ListCurvePathPlot[data,InterpolationOrder -> 3,
>Axes -> False]

>I don't see anything "smooth" or "curvy" about the results!

I am not totally convinced this is a meaningful test example. So
few data points really provide very little information about an
underlying curve. However, there does seem to be a problem with
InterpolationOrder. Contrast the plot you get with the plot
resulting from

LineListPlot[data, InterpolationOrder->3]

Although the resulting curve is not closed, it now has a smooth appearance.

As for your other questions, I don't know the answers and can
only speculate.