Re: Looping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95991] Re: Looping
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:44:01 -0500 (EST)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> I doubt very much that they they ever get "stuck" in the way you
> describe. Both Simplify and FullSimplify make use of algebraic
> algorithms some of which have very high complexity (e.g. exponential
> or even double exponential in the number of variables).
>

> Andrzej Kozlowski

I was responding to a user who tells us he has left a calculation
running for 3 days! He hadn't used TimeConstraint when he started the
thing off, so it could not help him until he killed the process.

I have certainly had Simplify and FullSimplify get 'stuck' - though I
have never waited 3 days for a possible answer (and I am yet to
encounter this problem with 7.0, but I have not tried)!

In situations like this - which often spread over a lot of memory - the
computer ends up swapping memory pages to/from disk, which slows the
actual calculation to a crawl.

I would have thought I replied with the obvious practical advice, and
that the word 'stuck' is sufficiently vague and informal as not to
require a paragraph of mathematical caveats!

David