Re: two questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100341] Re: two questions
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:10:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/31/09 at 6:32 AM, fgutiers2002 at yahoo.com (Francisco Gutierrez)
wrote:

>a. I made a package and I want to retrieve the functions it has.
>What I would want is: Command[mypackage] Output: functions for the
>user contained in myg package

>How can I do this? Somehow, I have failed to find this in the
>documentation.

First, load the package using either Get or Needs. Then doing
?contextname`* will list all of the symbols available to the
user where contextname is the name of the context for the
package loaded. Usually (not always), this is the same as the
package name. For example, if I load a package I've created for
my usage by doing:

In[1]:= << Statistics`SplineSmoothing`

In[2]:= ?Statistics`SplineSmoothing`*

Statistics`SplineSmoothing`
EDF NaturalSpline   SplinePolynomial
MonotonicQ  SplineD SplineResiduals
MonotonicSmoothing  SplineEvaluate  SplineRoot

I get a list of functions in the package

>b.  According to you what are the best references to study the theme
>of packages in Mathematica?

Maeder has written a couple of texts on programming in
Mathematica that would make a good starting point. But even
without using Maeder's books, simply opening packages that are
distributed with Mathematica with a text editor to see how they
are written can be quite informative.