Re: Re: RandomReal gets stuck

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100535] Re: [mg100528] Re: RandomReal gets stuck
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 05:01:21 -0400 (EDT)

If you want to use subscripted variables, it might help to use this code:

subFunction::usage = "subFunction[a] causes inputting a[i] or \
\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\"a\", \"i\"]\) to be synonymous, while always \
displaying the latter in outputs."

"subFunction[a] causes inputting a[i] or \!\(\*SubscriptBox[\"a\", \
\"i\"]\) to be synonymous, while always displaying the latter in \
outputs."

subFunction[a_Symbol]:=Block[{aa=ToString[a]},MakeExpression[SubscriptBox[ToString@a,i_],f_]:=MakeExpression[RowBox[{ToString@a,"[",i,"]"}]];MakeBoxes[a[i_],f_]:=SubscriptBox[MakeBoxes[a,f],MakeBoxes[i,f]]]

The result is that you can refer to a[i] or Subscript[a,i]
interchangeably, but it always displays in the subscripted form. I find it
much easier to use a[i] while typing formulas, so I'm getting the best of
both worlds.

Not sure if that addresses everything brought up on the thread, of course.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com