Re: Struggling to figure out the correct coding for a multiple

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100560] Re: Struggling to figure out the correct coding for a multiple
  • From: Ray Koopman <koopman at sfu.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 02:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 6, 12:46 am, Steven Mullen <smul... at 21cm.com> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out how to write the code to solve the
> following equation (the capital "E" will represent the Sigma
> symbol and the character immediately following will represent
> the summation subscript...forgive me for not knowing the correct
> term for this).
>
> x = Ei ci + Ei Ej (Bi + Bj)/2 * ci * cj +
>     Ei Ej Ek (Ci Cj Ck)^(1/3) ci * cj * ck
>
> I want to have a list of values for the B terms, C terms, and
> c terms and refer to that list in the coding (please see below).

Let c = {c1, c2, ...}. Then c1 + c2 + ... = Total[c].

Let B = {B1, B2, ...}. Then second term factors into the product of
two sums, the first of which is a sum of products: B.c * Total[c].

The single-letter symbols C, D, E, I, K, N, O are all Protected,
so let Cx = {C1, C2, ...}. Then the third term factors into the
cube of a sum of products: (c.Cx^(1/3))^3

Finally, x =  Total[c]*(1 + B.c) + (c.Cx^(1/3))^3