Re: Mathematica bug??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100587] Re: Mathematica bug??
  • From: Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 03:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

oshaughn wrote:
> Apologies ... this was a side effect of redefining 'Power' / the infix
> operator ^ to do wedge products for differential forms.  Apparently
> Inverse calls Power during this inversion, at least for some of the
> terms (?).  Hence the bug.
>
> The code worked when I wrote it (found it?) 10 years ago, ugly as it
> was.  But mathematica changes since then make this old kludge fail.

As a coincidence, I've been learning more about differential forms
lately.  Which particular package for dealing with differential forms
were you using?  (Note that there is a way around this, either way; use
\[Wedge] instead of ^:

In[1]:= a^b // FullForm

Out[1]//FullForm= Power[a, b]

In[2]:= a \[Wedge] b // FullForm

Out[2]//FullForm= Wedge[a, b]

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   We'll have to make our own luck from now on.
    -- Louis Wu